Friday, 21 August 2026 · Philippines
News

CASTRO SIGNS UP WITH SINGAPORE SLINGERS

Columns
Canelo Demands $100 Million for Crawford Rematch
Canelo Demands $100 Million for Crawford Rematch
By Dong Secuya

When fight figures cross into nine-digit guarantees, the conversation usually turns cynica…

Extraordinarily talented point guard Jason Castro of the leading amateur team Harbour Center has become the first Filipino to sign up with a team in Australia's highly competitive National Basketball League.

Castro signed up with the first Asia-based club in the NBL , Singapore Slingers, after the team's managing director Bob Turner and operations manager Michael Johns flew to Manila and finalized a deal. The team had been pursuing the 2006 and 2007 MVP of the Philippine Basketball League for some time before they finally nailed it down.

Turner said "when we saw Jason last year (in Singapore) we knew he was the one we were looking for. We really worked to find a talent from the region and we were not surprised that we found him here in the Philippines."

With a large Filipino community in Singapore, the acquisition of Castro is certain to add to the team's following and is regarded as a smart marketing move.

Turner said "this is a great moment for Singapore, a great moment for Philippine basketball and great for Jason."

Columns
Canelo Demands $100 Million for Crawford Rematch
Canelo Demands $100 Million for Crawford Rematch
By Dong Secuya

When fight figures cross into nine-digit guarantees, the conversation usually turns cynica…

Comments

Share your thoughts on the above article by Ronnie Nathanielsz.

Read our community comment guidelines here