Friday, 21 August 2026 · Philippines
News

ORAIS KO?D IN MISMATCH

Columns
Canelo Demands $100 Million for Crawford Rematch
Canelo Demands $100 Million for Crawford Rematch
By Dong Secuya

When fight figures cross into nine-digit guarantees, the conversation usually turns cynica…

The Philippines Rodel "Kid" Orais who is listed as a super flyweight fought Thai veteran and former WBA super featherweight champion Yodsanan Sor Nanthachai who now fights as a light welterweight in a terrible mismatch and as expected got knocked out in the second round.Respected Thai boxing writer Damrong said Yodsanan "destroyed" Orais.

The fight took place at the Suanlum Night Market in Bangkok.

On the morning of the fight well-known journalist Scott Mallon emailed Viva Sports/Manila Standard Today stating that he had seen a boxing magazine which announced that Yodsanan was scheduled to fight flyweight Rey Orais at the Lumpini Stadium. It was also published in the boxrec.com schedule.

When we checked with Games and Amusements Board boxing division chief Dr. Nasser Cruz said they had no record of such a fight being approved although he revealed there had been some tentative inquiries directed at the GAB.

Based on the fight report of boxrec.com it was Rodel Orais who fought and not Rey Orais. The 28 year oId southpaw apparently last fought on July 29, 2005 when he suffered a third round TKO in a WBC Asian Boxing Council super flyweight title fight against Medgoen 3 K Battery.

Rodel Orais has a record of 14-18-1 with 6 knockouts but suffered 13 knockouts in his 18 defeats. In fact, boxrec.com records indicate that Orais lost his three previous fights ? two by TKO and one by KO.

Yodsanan who has a record of 55-3-1 with 44 knockouts won the WBA super featherweight title with a unanimous twelve round decision over akva Sim on April 13, 2002 and successfully defended the title with a ninth round KO of Lamont Pearson, a seventh round TKO over Ryuhei Sugita and a twelve round unanimous decision over Steve Forbes who recently went the distance with Oscar De La Hoya.

The Thai lost his crown by a twelve round decision to Vicente Mosquera on April 30, 2005 but had won ten successive fights since then including four against Filipino opponents.

Columns
Canelo Demands $100 Million for Crawford Rematch
Canelo Demands $100 Million for Crawford Rematch
By Dong Secuya

When fight figures cross into nine-digit guarantees, the conversation usually turns cynica…

Comments

Share your thoughts on the above article by Ronnie Nathanielsz.

Read our community comment guidelines here