Sunday, 23 August 2026 · Philippines
News

GACAL CLAIMS ATTEMPTS TO CAPITALIZE ON SHOOTING, ‘BLACK PROPAGANDA’

Filipino ring idol Manny Pacquiao’s lawyer Franklin “Jeng” Gacal has branded as “black propaganda” attempts to capitalize on the reported accidental shooting of an eleven year old boy last Monday afternoon by a bodyguard of Pacquiao.

The boy, identified as John John was taken to the St. Elizabeth Hospital in General Santos City for treatment of gunshots wounds in his left palm and his right hand. The bodyguard of Pacquiao who was identified by ABS-CBN as a certain “Jojo” was one of some 20 persons given exemptions to carry firearms outside the residence by the Commission on Elections claiming there were kidnapping threats to Pacquiao and his family.

ABS-CBN reported that the boy’s father Rodolfo Tobiano didn’t want to comment on the incident since it had been settled and that it was not even entered in the police blotter. However, Atty. Gacal in a long distance telephone conversation with Viva Sports/Manila Standard Today said he was “waiting for the police report.”

Gacal earlier told ABS-CBN he had earlier been asked by Pacquiao who is running for the congressional seat in South Cotabato currently held by opposition congresswoman Darlene Antonino Custodio to “investigate what happened and that whoever is responsible should answer to the law.”

The lawyer who is believed to play a key role in Team Pacquiao said the boxing superstar was ”campaigning non stop, twenty four hours a day, seven days a week and is doing fine.”

Comments

Share your thoughts on the above article by Ronnie Nathanielsz.

Read our community comment guidelines here