Sunday, 23 August 2026 · Philippines
News

SALUD DENIES SUICO WILL FIGHT IN THAILAND

The manager of outstanding flyweight Benedict Suico, well known promoter and manager Rex ?Wakee? Salud has flatly denied reports that Suico will battle unedefeated Thai Pungluang Sor Singyu for the WBC Youth bantamweight title on May 10 in Chumporn, Thailand.

In a long distance telephone conversation with Viva Sports/Manila Standard Today, Salud said that report is ?not true at all.? However, he couldn?t explain how the schedule was carried by the boxrec.com website as well as Philboxing.com.

Games and Amusements Board chairman Eric Buhain had imposed a ban on Filipino boxers fighting in Thailand after WBC Youth flyweight champion Lito Sisnorio died following brain surgery after a fourth round knockout in a blatant mismatch against former world champion Chatchai Sasakul last month in Bangkok.

Salud said Suico who has a record of 13-2 with 10 knockouts is ranked No. 3 in the Philippines and is looking forward to fighting the winner of a battle for the vacant title between Rocky Fuentes (18-5-2, 11 KO?s) and Danilo Lerio (13-1, 12 KO?s). Salud said negotiations were currently going on between the handlers of Fuentes and Lerio regarding the title fight.

Comments

Share your thoughts on the above article by Ronnie Nathanielsz.

Read our community comment guidelines here