Former IBF super bantamweight champion Lelohonolo “Hands of Stone” Ledwaba who on June 23, 2001 suffered a brutal beating at the hands of a 22 year old Filipino upstart - Manny Pacquiao - at the MGM Grand in Las Vegas, has been forced to retire because of an eye injury.
Super Sports in South Africa reported that Ledwaba who will be 37 on July 27 was scheduled to fight former IBF junior lightweight champion Malcolm Klassen but had to be withdrawn after doctors discovered Ledwaba had a detached retina.
Boxing South Africa spokesman Loyiso Mtya said Ledwaba’s name had been removed from the fight card and “his license withdrawn.” He will be replaced by Edward Mpofu who will meet Klassen in an eight round bout.
Super Sports said the problem was first noticed when Ledwaba was stopped in the ninth round by Ghanaian newcomer Maxwell Awuku in November last year after Ledwaba “ retired in his corner saying he was unable to see properly. “ It was only after he was sent to an eye specialist that the problem was detected.
The South African Boxing Commission immediately revoked Ledwaba’s license and announced that the former three-time world champion would not be allowed to fight again. Ledwaba had lost four of his last five fights and ended his career with a record of 36-6-1 with 23 knockouts.
Comments
Share your thoughts on the above article by Ronnie Nathanielsz.