Friday, 21 August 2026 · Philippines
News

MELGAREJO LOSES BUT FIGHTS GALLANTLY

Columns
Canelo Demands $100 Million for Crawford Rematch
Canelo Demands $100 Million for Crawford Rematch
By Dong Secuya

When fight figures cross into nine-digit guarantees, the conversation usually turns cynica…

Philippine super featherweight champion Aaron Melgarejo may have lost in his US debut but he won the admiration of fight fans at the Orleans Hotel & Casino when he battled tough Manny Perez of Hawaii in an action-packed eight round curtain raiser.

The fight was an entertaining one although the tough Filipino lost on the scorecards of all three judges 77-75.

Melgarejo, who was one of Manny Pacquiao?s sparring partners when the Filipino boxing icon was preparing for the rematch with Marco Antonio Barrera last year, put the pressure on Perez from the opening bell forcing Perez who counter-punched effectively to stand toe-to-toe which Max Boxing said gave fight fans more than they expected.

The report said Melgarejo fought valiantly forcing Perez to be at his sharpest throughout the fight. With the loss Melgarejo dropped to 10-6-1, 3 KO?s while Perez improved to 12-4 with 2 knockouts.

The Top Rank fight card was headlined by the North American Boxing Federation lightweight title fight in which Anthony Peterson scored a lopsided decision over journeyman and Fernando Trejo. Two judges scored it a 120-108 shutout while one judge had Peterson the winner 119-109.

Melgarejo was coming off a majority decision over Dodie Boy Agrabio in which Melgarejo won the Philippine title.

Columns
Canelo Demands $100 Million for Crawford Rematch
Canelo Demands $100 Million for Crawford Rematch
By Dong Secuya

When fight figures cross into nine-digit guarantees, the conversation usually turns cynica…

Comments

Share your thoughts on the above article by Ronnie Nathanielsz.

Read our community comment guidelines here