Friday, 21 August 2026 · Philippines
News

BARRERA, GOLDEN BOY PART AS FRIENDS

Columns
Canelo Demands $100 Million for Crawford Rematch
Canelo Demands $100 Million for Crawford Rematch
By Dong Secuya

When fight figures cross into nine-digit guarantees, the conversation usually turns cynica…

Mexican boxing legend Marco Antonio Barrera and Golden Boy Promotions of Oscar De La Hoya have parted as friends following an amicable settlement which would allow Barrera to take what the future Hall-of-Famer said was "a new path with respect to my boxing career."

Under the agreement Golden Boy Promotions released Barrera from his promotional contract while Barrera in turn agreed to give up his position as a parter in Golden Boy Promotions.

Golden Boy Promotions CEO Richard Schaefer had earlier informed Viva Sports/Manila Standard Today about the meeting with Barrera and appeared confident a mutually amicable settlement could be reached. He was right.

In a statement De La Hoya said "Marco is ready to move in a new direction with respect to his boxing career. We respect him and want to honor his decision tno make a change. We wish him the best of luck and look forward to the prospects of working with him again in the future."

For his part Barrera who wants to handle fighters and promote fight cards himself said "while I have a great respect for Oscar De La Hoya and Golden Boy Promotions, I decided that I wanted to take a new path with respect to my boxing career. I am pleased that we will move forward as friends."

Columns
Canelo Demands $100 Million for Crawford Rematch
Canelo Demands $100 Million for Crawford Rematch
By Dong Secuya

When fight figures cross into nine-digit guarantees, the conversation usually turns cynica…

Comments

Share your thoughts on the above article by Ronnie Nathanielsz.

Read our community comment guidelines here