Friday, 21 August 2026 · Philippines
News

DONAIRE-MTHALANE NEGOTIATIONS GET NEW DEADLINE

Columns
Canelo Demands $100 Million for Crawford Rematch
Canelo Demands $100 Million for Crawford Rematch
By Dong Secuya

When fight figures cross into nine-digit guarantees, the conversation usually turns cynica…

The the deadline for negotiations between Top Rank promoter Bob Arum who now handles IBF flyweight champion Nonito "The Filipino Flash" Donaire and Branco Milenkovic who promotes mandatory challenger Moruti Mthalane has been extended.

Originally set for August 7 the deadline has been moved to August 14. This came about after the IBF received word that Top Rank and Milenkovic?s matchmaker Sampson Lewkowicz were ?very close to reaching an agreement.?

Since both Top Rank and the well-known matchmaker had sent emails asking the IBF for an extension, it has been granted. However, if no agreement is reached by August 14, the IBF said it would send out a letter on August 15 ?calling for a purse bid to be held on August 26, 2008.?

Donaire had previously indicated he would not defend his title in South Africa while Milenkovic said he was surprised at the initial announcement of Arum that the mandatory title defense would be held in Macau on October 11 since Arum had not begun negotiations with the Mthalane camp.

Milenkovic told www.insidesports.ph that he wanted to promote the fight in South Africa and was prepared to enter a purse bid in case negotiations were not successful.

Arum in fact later changed the original Macau fight date to either November or December.

Columns
Canelo Demands $100 Million for Crawford Rematch
Canelo Demands $100 Million for Crawford Rematch
By Dong Secuya

When fight figures cross into nine-digit guarantees, the conversation usually turns cynica…

Comments

Share your thoughts on the above article by Ronnie Nathanielsz.

Read our community comment guidelines here