Thursday, 20 August 2026 · Philippines
News

DE LA HOYA HAS STARTED TRAINING

Columns
Canelo Demands $100 Million for Crawford Rematch
Canelo Demands $100 Million for Crawford Rematch
By Dong Secuya

When fight figures cross into nine-digit guarantees, the conversation usually turns cynica…

One thing for sure. ?The Golden Boy? Oscar De a Hoya is not taking his December 6 showdown with Filipino ring icon Manny Pacquiao lightly despite some boxing writers who insist he is too big and too strong and would demolish the little guy from the Philippines.

De La Hoya?s close boyhood friend and Golden Boy Promotions vice president Eric Gomez said in an overseas telephone conversation with www.insidesports.ph, Manila Standard and Viva Sports that ?Oscar is already training.?He said De La Hoya set up a pre-camp in Puerto Rico and ?started running and doing light exercises but he will start his boxing camp in Big Bear in October.?

Gomez expressed confidence that De La Hoya would make the stipulated 147 pound limit for the Pacquiao fight saying ? that?s something a lot of people don?t know about Oscar.? Gomez revealed that De La Hoya had ?to build himself up to fight at 154 pounds and he used to eat a lot of proteins and stuff to get up in weight. He never used to diet. He ate whatever he wanted. ?

Gomez said that now its just ?a matter of dieting and eating the right food to make the weight.? He said De La Hoya was with him in Los Angeles last week and weighed in at 153 ?without even starting boxing. That?s his natural weight. He won?t have a problem making the weight. He?ll be fine.?

Gomez said De La Hoya ?is a consummate professional and he knows what he has to do. He is a veteran and he knows that it?s very important for him to be well within his weight.? Gomez said De La Hoya laughed off the imposition by Team Pacquiao of a fine of $3 million for every pound or fraction thereof over the 147 limit. He said ?make it $5 million it doesn?t matter. He is going to make the weight.?

Columns
Canelo Demands $100 Million for Crawford Rematch
Canelo Demands $100 Million for Crawford Rematch
By Dong Secuya

When fight figures cross into nine-digit guarantees, the conversation usually turns cynica…

Comments

Share your thoughts on the above article by Ronnie Nathanielsz.

Read our community comment guidelines here