Thursday, 20 August 2026 · Philippines
News

WBC TO HELP FAMILY OF MEXICAN BOXER WHO DIED AFTER KO

Columns
Canelo Demands $100 Million for Crawford Rematch
Canelo Demands $100 Million for Crawford Rematch
By Dong Secuya

When fight figures cross into nine-digit guarantees, the conversation usually turns cynica…

The World Boxing Council says it will provide financial help to the family of Mexican super featherweight Daniel Aguillon who died earlier this week after being in a coma for five days following a 12th round knockout at the hands of fellow Mexican Alejandro Sanabria.

The 24 year old Aguillon who had a record of 16-4-2 with 9 knockouts was caught with a punch to the jaw in the final minute of the fight and fell unconscious.

Referee Jose Guadalupe Garcia called the knockout at 2:20 of the 12th round.

Aguillon was rushed to hospital where he was operated on for a blood clot in the brain but he failed to regain unconsciousness and died late Monday.

WBC secretary general Mauricio Sulaiman said Aguillon?s death was ?totally an accident? and that the fighter had passed all the required medical tests and was on the verge of winning the bout before the knockout came.

All three judges had Aguillon ahead on their scorecards. Two judges had him winning by a margin of 104-103 while the third judge had him a head 105-102.

Aguillon was dropped in the first and the twelfth rounds while Sanabria was down in round four.

Sulaiman said that the fight was sanctioned and supported by the WBC and that the leading world boxing organization?s priority was ?to help the family so they do not go through financial trouble.? The WBC secretary general whose father, Don Jose Sulaiman is president said the ?WBC, the promoters and all the people around boxing are committed to donate money to Aguillon?s widow and children.?

Aguillon was reportedly the first boxer to die in a fight in Mexico City since 1953.

Top photo: The remains of Daniel Aguillon were laid to rest Wednesday at el Parque Memorial de Naucalpan in Mexico. Photo courtesy of Esto.

Columns
Canelo Demands $100 Million for Crawford Rematch
Canelo Demands $100 Million for Crawford Rematch
By Dong Secuya

When fight figures cross into nine-digit guarantees, the conversation usually turns cynica…

Comments

Share your thoughts on the above article by Ronnie Nathanielsz.

Read our community comment guidelines here